Student HelpZone

Keeping People Safe

Local businesses in Glasgow
providing services to support
the student community.

If you need immediate help always call 999

Contacting Police Scotland

999 Emergency Number

In an emergency you should always dial 999 if:

  • There is a risk of personal injury or loss of life
  • A crime is in progress
  • Someone suspected of a crime is nearby

Deaf, deafened, hard of hearing or speech-impaired callers using a Textphone (minicom) should dial 18000 in an emergency.

Alternatively, if you are deaf, hard of hearing and speech-impaired, you can register with emergency SMS text service. The emergency SMS service lets people in the UK send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard.

101 Non-Emergency Number

For non-emergencies and general enquiries, 101 is the number you call if you need to contact the police. Using 101 for situations that do not require an immediate police response helps keep 999 available for when there is an emergency.

Calls to 101 from landlines and mobiles cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long your call lasts.

101 FAQs  can be found here

Calls to Police Scotland may be recorded for training and service improvement purposes.

UK calls outwith Scotland

UK callers residing outside of Scotland should call 01786 289 070 to contact Police Scotland.

International Contact

International callers should call +44 1786 289 070 to contact Police Scotland.

Lost Property form

If you have lost property in Scotland you can use the Lost Property form to see if it is held by the police.


You can phone Crimestoppers to pass on information about crime anonymously, call 0800 555 111.

Alternative ways to contact us the police can be found on the Contact Us page of the Police Scotland Website