How can I secure my valuables when out and about?
- Security mark valuable items. This makes it harder for thieves to sell them on. It also helps police to ensure items are returned to you if they are found.
- Record details of your mobile phone, laptop, tablet, camera and other property at www.immobilise.com for free.
- Install a tracker device on your mobile devices which could help find them if they’re stolen.
- Don’t leave personal possessions, such as handbags, unattended when out and about. Make sure they’re in sight if you’re in a bar or sitting at a table in a restaurant.
- Don’t reserve your space in the library or student area using your laptop or bag. Keep your belongings with you.
- Try not to display cash, expensive items or jewellery too overtly.
- Insure your belongings and keep your insurance details handy.
What else can I do to protect my mobile phone?
- Keep it out of sight and don’t attract attention to it when not in use.
- Use the security lock.
- Keep a record of the 15 digit IMEI number which is unique to the device and record on www.immobilise.com. To find the IMEI number, dial *#06# on your mobile phone.
- If lost or stolen, contact the police and service provider immediately.
What should I think about when travelling with luggage?
- Try to keep luggage close by and in view and check on your bags regularly.
- Don’t leave valuable items unattended, such as when checking in at a hotel or going to the buffet car on a train.
- If you are going to sleep whilst travelling, don’t leave valuables in view on the table or seat next to you. Keep them hidden.
- Ensure any bags placed on the on the floor are in front of you so that any movement of the bag will be noticeable.