Some general steps you can take whilst you are out and about are:
- Plan your journey.
- Tell someone when and where you’re going and when to expect you to get there.
- Carry a mobile phone and make sure it’s charged.
- Be aware of your surroundings and look confident about where you are going.
- Avoid listening to personal stereos which can make you less aware of what’s happening around you.
- Personal attack alarms are good to have – make sure you carry it in your hand so you can use it immediately. Choose a type which continues to sound if you activate and then drop it.
- DON’T carry weapons or items such as pepper spray – this is illegal.